History

Glen-Nevis is part of a large parcel of land (14,000 acres) originally granted to Robert and Helenus Scott in 1836. The brothers bred blood mares, and laid sound foundations for the great Hunter Valley thoroughbred studs.

The Scotts were left almost penniless with the depression of the late 1840s, and their involvement in the failure of the Bank of Australia. The estate was broken up and the portion known as Glen-Nevis was sold to William Fraser in 1876. He was from Inverness in Scotland, and it is believed that he built the present homestead, which is in Victorian Italianate style, in the late 1800's. It's also believed that he named the estate Glen-Nevis because the rolling hills and green valleys reminded him of his lovely homeland. This still seems true, when we look at the beautifully contoured green and brown hills, and watch the mist drift off the nearby mountains.

Glen-Nevis was an extensive sheep and dairying property until the late 1970s, when the bottom dropped out of the wool market. It then became a beef cattle producing enterprise, as it remains today.

Over the years portions have been sold off, until finally in 1998 the remaining 4,500 acres were subdivided. The present owners, John and Laurel Willis, bought the homestead and 900 acres.

In 1996, an experimental Semillon vineyard was planted. John has now planted 3000 more Semillon and Shiraz vines, and is looking forward to a very good harvest this year.